Sunday, January 10, 2016

i went to quiapo and shouted viva neustro padre jesus nazareno!

it is my dream of going to quiapo church and pray to the holy image of black nazarene. i always tell mom that if one day and someone asked me to join them to go to quiapo i will definitely go. i used to be in the metro but ive never been to quiapo my entire life. often i heard discouraging words from my cousins that the place is dangerous and a no-no for them. that i need some bones and lungs to make it through of which i don’t have. they do tell me that i rather stay at home and watch the procession live on tv. that quiapo is a place where some are not so good but i have convinced myself and how will i know if i wont be able to experience such. how will  i know if i stay here and just watch live tv.

having the faith and trust that today is something extraordinary i told dudoi to pray for me. i did asked him to pray for me because he is a priest. i told him to please include me in his prayers for me to keep safe, have the faith and have my very first step to the church a holy and memorable one. he told me that he will pray for me and i guess he really did.
with the hope of a wonderful journey going there, i went to quaipo with some friends whom started their devotion since childhood and when i heard that they are going this year i asked them to bring me there. ive been longing to go to quiapo several years ago and to make the story short i forced them to bring me in.
i am on my way to the office friday morning when carmen called me up and told me were going today. i just finish the friday mass we had in our office lobby and i grabbed my bag, went home, packed my things. kiss my mom goodbye and at 14:00 we took a ten hour bus ride to manila. carmen remind me that the best fashion to quiapo is walking short, tshirt and slippers. it was already midnight when we arrived but the metro traffic is still visible. people are all wearing maroon shirt, barefoot and walking. 
our day started at 03:00 am and we were able to have some rest and freshen up. we ride the LRT 1 from Munomento station to UN avenue where luneta and the black nazarene is. we were stuck in the middle of the LRT face to face with the wall. its the best ride and everyone choose to endure this setting in order to make it to luneta before the procession starts. 
we were lucky enough to make it through the procession. we were too closed to the altar of the black nazarene. i dont know why  and even my friends told me that this is the very first time they experienced such. we took a lot of photos, selfies and videos using our phone even if its too risky. one couldnt imagine the dangers of the mob crowding the image but i get to see the black nazarene image even if its only quart of a seconds.
i wave my hands and the towels i bought and shouted viva ama! as long as i could and i did pray to the black nazarene. i told him to take care of our family and asked him to cure mom from her sickness and that all of my family and loveones wishes to come true. the sea of devotees at the annual traslacion is a familiar sight since i used to watch them live on tv but getting here is something and i cant explain the feelings i have while i both enjoy and praise god together with many of my fellow filipinos barefoot, some of them getting injured, and we are all brought here together by our faith.
ive never walk this far my whole life but i didnt mind feeling tired. my feet  in dirt and my slippers i dont know if they still wanted to be in my feet. sweats formed entire my body and like everyone else i do feel like i am stinky. 
but even so were bone tired and dead today we still feel awesome and enjoy the scenes the metro is offering. its been a while since we visit this place not even before the dancing fountain and that big tower exist.
so much to see and enjoy but we get to pose at this famous luneta landmark for we may never know if it is still there when we get back.
the heat of the sun is extremely hot today. but nothing beats to the joy of sitting and watching the sun in here.
we walk more and find the exit of the park and headed ourselves to the center of luneta park. now i do believe that the best way to quiapo is through slippers. 
we still hear the chants of nazareno and was able glimpse him on the other side and as the image past among us we move our way to quiapo church. we ride a jeepney after we eat our breakfast. some of the roads to quaipo are closed and traffic is as heavy as christmas holidays. we decided to walk again and find ourselves inside the quiapo church. everyone seems to be too polite. i guess the holiness is in everyone's heart today. everyone is smiling back. such a happy gestures and we opted to speak in bicol since everyone has their own language and lucky enough to have heard someone speak like us. 
the way to quiapo is full of different lovely things to see.  some are giving free water and food and the line is long for the free goodies. we pass through the band performing and explore quiapo at our own risk. we bought a lot of scapular, rosary and bracelets for our friends and family back home. 
we never dreamed of getting inside the church but we were just lucky enough to heard the con-celebrated mass inside it. we went to the side wings and followed the crowds praying and hoping that we make it through inside and we did.
i did endure the smell of all people including mine of course, the hot weather and the guts of making it through the altar of the church of black nazarene. its an intense and truly a magnificent experience. and today i know god had arranged things for me.
inside the church i feel something different. my heart beats faster and my body is all sweats. the towel i have with me is already wet in my own sweat but looking around me i still feel lucky. we are all gathered inside the church praying for all our request be granted but the reality takes place when we parted our ways and get back to the world i have. 


i really admire all the devotees that i had encountered with inside this church. we may not know each other but the kind gestures i have witnessed is enough that we have a strong believe in god. the smell is far different too for devotees of black nazarene doesnt smell alcohol and some did bring their month’s old babies with them. they give way to those who are vulnerable and loudly sing the nazareno chant.
the mass lasted for an hour and were so lucky enough to have been showered and blessed with holy water after the mass. as i find my way to go out of the church after the mass i heard someone saying salamat sa pagdalaw kapatid. ingat sayong pag uwi. i smiled back at them and continue to walk my way out.
we explore quiapo more and find some refreshments on the nearby mall. there we consume sometime to take some rest and eat. we talk a lot of beautiful things that has just happened to us and congratulates ourselves for making our visit a memorable one. 
it was almost 16:00 and we continue to walk and find the nearest railway station that will bring us home. i love that carmen's sister gave us home for our entire trip. i got another home in the metro now. carmen told me that they are waking me up to have some pillows under my head but i was so dead and wasnt able to wash my feet. 
we have ourselves relax the whole night after bathing, ate ning ning cooked us glorious food and we got a lot of food to eat. i am thankful and grateful for this day.  that even in my wildest dream who would have thought that we can make it through quiapo today. 
we wake up at 05:30 in our new home and started to pack our things. we had our breakfast ate ning ning had cooked for us. we said our goodbye to the family that has been so generous to us. 
we went our way to the the LRT and the ride from munomento to baclaran is such a beautiful experience. we called that trip "tayuman" for we are all standing the whole trip good thing we only have light bags among us.
and to give more thanks to god for the joy we had yesterday, we we went to baclaran church. we heared the sunday mass and we hurried pretty much and catch our flight back home. 
it is by faith that i am going home safe today and i know that i am nearly home when you read this. i want you to know that when god created quiapo he make sure that magic will fill your heart and he will keep you safe. so next year if you got the chance to visit quiapo and pray go because the place is wonderful.
thank you ate carmen, ate ning ning and ate vic vic for these wonderful journey and i am looking forward in our next trip this february. 
i did have some bones and lungs for making it through to quiapo this year and much more to that i feel that my spirit rejoices the moment i saw the real image of the black nazarene. and was so lucky enough to make it through the church i have long dreamed of visiting. and it took me 30 years to be able to step my very first step in this holy church of god. i enjoy quiapo with much hope and love and the chance to experience such a great time with my treasured friend. i didnt know that i will make it through but i did. 

i wrote this blog entry for the last three days and no editing has been made all photos belongs to me and so with the words for  this is my very first time in quiapo and i survive the day and i am happy to be here.

No comments: